Wickes Installs New Apprenticeship Scheme For Next Generation Of Kitchen Fitters
WICKES INSTALLS NEW APPRENTICESHIP SCHEME FOR NEXT GENERATION OF KITCHEN FITTERS
New scheme launched ahead of National Apprenticeship Week
The new Installation Apprenticeship scheme from home improvement retailer Wickes has gone live in time for National Apprenticeship Week 2021 (8-14 February). The apprenticeship scheme follows a successful pilot, and responds to the demand for skilled tradespeople, by offering 48 new roles.
With new kitchen installations in demand, coupled with the recently identified skills gap of fewer Installers coming through, Wickes has taken the lead in launching its unique Installation apprenticeship scheme to help maintain the future supply of skilled tradespeople.
While apprentices are typically young school or college-leavers, during this National Apprenticeship Week Wickes wants to demonstrate the benefits of its apprenticeship scheme to people of all ages, who want to re-train and develop a new skills set for a future career.
One such example includes Samuel Wilson, who joined the first cohort from one of the Wickes Distribution Centres after seeing the fantastic opportunities that being an apprentice will bring when he has finished his training.
The apprentices who are just beginning their training will be embarking on an 18-month programme, tapping into life and trade skills, together with mentoring support. 80% of time will be spent on site with their installer from the Wickes’ Approved Installer Network for kitchens. The other 20% will cover formal training which spans across seven block weeks with Nottingham-based WEBS Training Ltd focusing on the technical aspects of fitting a kitchen, behaviour, customer services and setting up your own business in order to provide a well-rounded and compelling local installation proposition for customers.
While places for cohorts one and two have now been allocated, there are still 32 spots across 2021 left to be filled by those eager to learn a new trade and start the journey to owning their own business. By using the Approved Installer Network, Wickes can offer positions within local companies across the country, giving every apprentice a unique and personal experience.
Tony Brown, Installations Director, at Wickes, said: “We’re giving back and supporting the industry we know well through our Approved Installer Network. Installation of kitchens is a very skilled job and we want to invest in people to help close any skills gap. There are many great careers to be had in this industry and opportunities for people in a sector that can be flexible around them or give them the opportunity to create a small business. I am really proud that we’re able to offer such a unique programme like this, we know the industry needs more skilled tradespeople and we hope this is just the beginning of a very successful and long running scheme.”
In addition to the creation of 48 apprentices, Wickes will recruit for new team leader roles to manage each cohort's learning and development.
Wickes’ Installation apprenticeship scheme cohort two will go live on the 8th March. The following six cohorts still have places available for applications. For more information on the Wickes Apprenticeship Scheme and for applications forms, visit https://www.wickescareers.co.uk/Apprenticeships.